Monday, July 13, 2009

Sign Language

"Sign Language"

When Gerald Jay was six months old he was saying "hi"and "blue". We were all excited that he had scored high on his social skills. We thought that he will be talking sooner than we expected too. However, every time he had surgery done he always go back to zero most specially when he had a stroke on his left side of his blood. Not that it will affect his memory, but he forgets every words that he was saying before. This time after his fontan procedure last February, he was not able to say words more than "mama" which means "more" for him. Temper tantrum his only way to communicate with us. Then I realized that his way of communicating with us is not gonna work, therefore; I encourage everyone of his therapist to teach him basic sign language. I ordered three volumes of sign language DVD (signingtime) through Amazon.com. Today, those DVD's arrived and I immediately watch it with Gerald. Later, this afternoon I heard him singing and trying to do some signing with his fingers. I was really amazed. Not only him will learn the sign language but I too. I think it is worth it.


4 comments:

  1. how about show him some pictrues too that, exampe chair or table, or farm animal, things for him to recognise first then when he learned to anme few things start on teaching action words too and still show him pictures. I think with Gerald he needs visual to help him speak the word, sign language is good too but hopefully you wont rely on that otherwise makakasanayan nya yan... we may have a different situation but almost similar with jack, jack is a language delayamong with otehr things actually.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ate lindzy,
    showing a real pictures of a real stuff like, picture of an apple and etc is a good idea. I am planning to take some pictures of everything in the house so that I can use it teach him and hopefully he can follow me. This idea also was suggested by a speech therapist at pre-school. Thanks ate...you get me going na talaga:) very encouraging. How is jack's language now?

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks neldz, I did that with jack when he turned two years old kasi napansin ko lang na he was nag mamumbled and uses his own words or he has name for anything na hindi naman tama na word, I started with basic and simple words at sa awa ng diyos nacorrect ko sya pero he was still delay so I booked him to speech therapist at the community centre para libre ba kasi I thought na pareha lang siya ni James na delay lang talaga but jack has a different case but I wont reveal here na lang basahin mo na lang ang iba kong post...

    I remember na everytime I go to the library Jack was very interested in reading kahit na tingin lang sya sa mga pictures sa books and this was when he was only 2 or 3 year sold so that's why I spend reading with him a lot kahit na hindi sya nakakaintindi lol and I think it helps him a lot but with jack he is a slow learner but very interested so that's why it's a logn process... o mahaba na to ano ba yan hehehe... musta na lang at ihalik mo na lang ako ke GJ, he is very precious, at pati na sa new baby mo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ganun po ba ate..I have to spend more time with my kids reading talaga I am sure that will help GJ too. Thanks for the advice ate, mother knows best talaga. You are such a great mom!

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for dropping by! take care and God Bless!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Thanks and come back soon!